Thursday, September 28, 2006

I've been here how long?

So its been almost a week now since I've had time to get to the internet cabina and give you guys an update. Seems like things have settled down a lot. Actually, today marks one month here in Peru. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was saying goodbye to all the other YAVs and boarding a plane, scared out of my mind asking myself what I was doing. I would have hopped that by this time my Spanish would be a little better than it is, but I am able to understand a lot of what is said, as long as I can stay focused. In English, I can listen to several people talk at catch it all. I can even pick up on things even if I'm not really paying attention. So far, thats not the case here. I have to be intently listening to the person and making a effort to understand. It is improving my listening skills though!

This past Friday, I had my first day with the thrid Compassion group that I am working with. In the morning there are only a few kids all combined into one class, but in the afternoon there are 4 pretty big classes. I am going to be working with the older kids, high school aged to you and me. When I was introduced, the teacher asked if they had any questions for me. Of course they did! One question that keeps coming up that I wish I could answer is why I am here. I know why I am here, but can't share that with them yet. The their tutor is actually younger than I am, but he knows some english. It seems like each time I go to a new place, there is someone there who knows enough English to be able to help me out. I mean we aren't carrying on long conversations or anything, but they are able to put it in simpler words so that I can understand. Basically like being a 3 year old again.

Over the weekend I experienced my first normal weekend in a church here. The church that I was in had its youth service on Saturday night. They played some silly games, sang some, and had a Bible lesson. They asked me to play a song for them in English, so I played Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord. Thats one of the only songs that I can play without music so far, and they know it in Spanish so that helps out too. Sunday they have a childrens service at 10, and then a normal worship service at 11:30. It was much like a worship service at good ol' MPC except the sermons here are much longer than I have heard anywhere. I'll be glad when I can fully understand it all! I spent the afternoon with the Pastor's family and a guy in the church my age. The plan was to play basketball, but it turned into a soccer game. It was me, the pastor, his 2 sons (16 and 8) another 10 year old and Cesar, the guy my age against 6 guys in their 30s. Pretty even teams if you ask me! Anyway, I am horrible. But I did score a goal on a header which was a first for me. Too bad we were already down 6-2 at that point. Maybe I am improving a little...Then it was back to the church for the night service where they asked me to play again. The night service is a little less formal and there were several people that came up and sang, so I wasn't the only one who was asked to come up.

The kids that I work with during the week at Compassion are starting to understand that I need them to speak slowly, and I am doing a little better at communicationg with them. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go with one of the tutors on her visits. One day a week, they go and visit about 5 of their students in their homes. Several of the kids were working, but I got to see where they lived and meet their parents. I am really enjoying the behind the scenes look at a program that I am somewhat familiar with. Our youth group has sponsered a Compassion child for as long as I can remember and I really enjoy being able to see the other side of that. Too meet the kids, see where they live, and what the money is going for. I've actually been able to read some of their letters too. For more info, you can check out www.compassion.com . Sponser a kid in Peru! I'll write more about the program as I learn more!

I want to thank all of you that are reading this and are praying for me. Sometimes it gets kind of lonely here when you can't really talk to anyone on an in depth level. It is reassuring to know that there are those at home that are praying for me and thinking about me! Thanks!

5 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there!! It's your former lab mate from UNC and your fellow Tarheel fan...Go Heels!! Remember me??? You better, you haven't been gone that long, you know!!Wow! Sounds like things are moving right along over there in Peru. Just wanted to let you know you're thought about and prayed for :) You're not missing anything here..the tarheels aren't doing too great so you've probably saved a wall or two..and not to mention a few fingers. Have fun and keep up the good work!! Can't wait to hear more stories!!

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie!!
Glad to hear things are getting a little better. By the end of the year you won't know how to speak in English!! :) We think about you every day. Alex really enjoyed talking to you on the computer!! He was talking into the computer like you could hear him!! :) Take care! Love, Chris, Tonya, Alex, and Aaron PS..Aaron is walking!!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie-I am your sisters assistant at HRE. As you know I was in Peru in August on a medical mission trip. I have never had such an experience and plan to go back next year. We were in a village called La Casada; the first time anyone was ever allowed there. I have read your blog and loved it---those roosters will kill you. I slept with wax earplugs and that saved me--try it!! Between the roosters and the dogs!! We stayed in Moyobamba for ten days. Spent a night in Lima, so I know where the mountain is off the coastline--I wondered what was on the other side and now I know. I want to see some pictures of where you are. I am so envious of what you are doing; if I was alot younger, I would try it. I speak no Spanish though; I really admire you!! Our church, First Presbyterian of Burlington, is heavily involved in Peru; especially Moyobamba. We with some other churches are building a Christian University near La Casada. Doing it the Peruvian way though. We have the land paid off and a small building started--lots of politics. I will show Amanda some pictures of Lima and Miraflores. You have been in my prayers and God Bless you for what you are doing. Amanda misses you! Candy McCall

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie --
Finally am able to make it to your blog -- we've been having internet problems and have finally gotten them sorted out, thanks to Doug! So glad you're starting to settle in -- don't worry about the language barrier; it will all work out in time! When my relatives from Germany came, and again when we traveled there a few years ago, I was petrified because I was told upfront that we would be speaking German, as my cousin's husband's only English word was "Pepsi"!! I had not spoken or read German since college, nearly 15 years before, and was literally tongue-tied! But because I was forced to do it, I tentatively butchered the Germanic diction and sentence structure continuously. Everyone kept telling me, however, that they were so glad my German was so good -- that grammar was not important and that they could understand me just fine. SO -- just spit it out! Finesse will come later with time! :0)

It is encouraging to read about your work there in Peru. We miss you a lot here -- I look out from the choir and see your empty spot -- but I know that God has placed you exactly where He wants you to be! When you are tempted to allow yourself to feel lonely or dejected, stand firm against Satan's darts. You KNOW God's call on your life and you KNOW that you are answering it faithfully!! Read Ephesians 6:13-18 where Paul talks about the armor of God, especially the first part. Paul says “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to STAND your ground, and after you have done everything, to STAND. STAND firm then…” Don't let the devil hold you down! A lot of people are praying for you, and God will grant you wisdom and peace and the strength to stand!!

We love and miss you! The Tyres

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie --
Finally am able to make it to your blog -- we've been having internet problems and have finally gotten them sorted out, thanks to Doug! So glad you're starting to settle in -- don't worry about the language barrier; it will all work out in time! When my relatives from Germany came, and again when we traveled there a few years ago, I was petrified because I was told upfront that we would be speaking German, as my cousin's husband's only English word was "Pepsi"!! I had not spoken or read German since college, nearly 15 years before, and was literally tongue-tied! But because I was forced to do it, I tentatively butchered the Germanic diction and sentence structure continuously. Everyone kept telling me, however, that they were so glad my German was so good -- that grammar was not important and that they could understand me just fine. SO -- just spit it out! Finesse will come later with time! :0)

It is encouraging to read about your work there in Peru. We miss you a lot here -- I look out from the choir and see your empty spot -- but I know that God has placed you exactly where He wants you to be! When you are tempted to allow yourself to feel lonely or dejected, stand firm against Satan's darts. You KNOW God's call on your life and you KNOW that you are answering it faithfully!! Read Ephesians 6:13-18 where Paul talks about the armor of God, especially the first part. Paul says “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to STAND your ground, and after you have done everything, to STAND. STAND firm then…” Don't let the devil hold you down! A lot of people are praying for you, and God will grant you wisdom and peace and the strength to stand!!

We love and miss you! The Tyres

 

Post a Comment

<< Home