Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Countdown Continues

So instead of us leaving the country when they force us to say goodbye to all our friends and family, they send us to Chicago for a week to "prepare" us for our year of service as a YAV. There is nothing that they can really say to prepare us for our experiences, but they are trying anyway. It is a good time for all of us to get to know the people that we are going to our countries with, as well as meeting the other YAVs going to various other countries...which has been quite interesting! There has been lots of time of Bible study, informational sessions, small group discussions and even some free time. It has really been great getting to hang out with people who are experiencing a lot of the same things that you are, and are preparing for the same adventure that you signed on for.
Saying good bye to my family on Sunday was a pretty hard thing to do. In hugging my parents and everyone, I tried to remind them that it was only going to be a year, and that I would be back before they knew I was gone...all the time saying that for my benefit as well. I am so thankful that I have a family that cares so much about me and is proud of me...and I know that when I get back, they will be there waiting for me.
As 5am Monday draws closer (the time I leave for the airport), I try to shake off the fears that have developed of not knowing enough Spanish, and focus on the fact that this is what God has for me at this point in my life. He has gone there before me and He will be there to help me. There will be tough times and there will be wonderful times, and He will be there in the midst of it all.
The next time you hear from me, I will be in my new home country of Peru. We have some in country orientation before we move out to our placements, so I am not sure how long it will be before I can write again. I look forward to sharing with you about my trip to the country and what its like to embrace a new home, something so different from anything that I am used to. I realized at the airport that I was saying good bye to North Carolina for longer than I had ever been away before...a whole 10 days! But I am looking forward to life in Peru and seeing what God is doing there and how I can be apart of His work, and join in community with the people there.

9 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Cuando yo recibí una respuesta en mi "blog", yo iba emocionada. Espero que vos sería emocionada ahora! :)


I have NO clue if that makes sense, but I thought I would try. I'm thinking about you and praying for you!

Love, Ashley

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

i talked to your sister thru email the other day... you havn't been forgotten...YET! :)
just kidding we miss you a lot. It is sad to think that you are gone and we won't see you for a while. I know that by the time you get this you will already be settled in and your fears will be settled at least for the most part!
I am glad you are blogging! I put a plug for your blog on mine: www.camelbo.blogspot.com
I wanted people to read about what you are doing and topray for you and be supportive. I hope you feel our prayers and thoughts from a continent away. we miss you greatly, but we know that wonderful things are in store for you, so don't let us down and keep us updated as much as possible!
Take care,
justin
p.s. trace also misses you, but it's kinda scary how sad and sick he has been over your leaving...it's just not normal! but then again we ARE talking about trace:)

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you have your first guinea-pig yet? We will have some extra Hibachi Steak at Sakura for you.
Enjoy your time and take care,
your former lab mates

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex is looking forward to the trip to the airport to see Jamie return next year!! We are very proud of what you are doing and look forward to hearing about the things God has planned for you there. Take care. Love, Tonya, Chris, Alex, and Aaron

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie,

I do wish you well in the great land of Peru. If my calander is correct you have been there for a few days so I am going to just assume you are in the state of complete confussion wondering what the heck you just got yourself into. That or you are just fine.

I know this will be an awsome experinece you will cherish for years to come, and though people seem to think a year it a long time, it is not. It will be over before you know it and quite possibley before you are ready for it. You will get homesick, but you will get over it. You will eventually want a familiar food or taste so badly that you will offer up your 401K for a cheesburger or eat McDonalds. It also passes, but I can assure you during such times McDonalds becomes strangely glorious.

Other than that I have no real advice since I am in no place to give any and since I am a bit slow. But if I would say anything this is it. Cherish every momment you are there, for they are fleeting. Take time to pause and look at the world around you. There is more for us all to learn about the world around us than we could ever imagine.

Good Luck Buddy

Trace

P.S. Of course I miss you but perhaps Justin confussed my despair with the pneumonia I have been afflicted with for the past week. Then again Justin is also a jackass. O y recuerdo con fe el mundo esta claro

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie-I'm having to hold up Justin and Trace b/c they miss you so much! They are a blubbering mess! :) J/K, but they do miss you. We went to Mebane Sun. for Ellen's BD and we thought of you as we drove by your church!
I hope you are getting settled in Peru. What an amazing and exciting thing you are doing! God is going to do AMAZING things through you! Can you post your snail mail address? Thanks! We miss you! -Alison

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Justin said...

yeah trace.... sure it was pnumonia... that's not what you told me when you were sobbing uncontrollably about jamie's departure...or was that just because his mom ran out of sausage balls at his going-away party? Trace, you need to learn to let go, both of Jamie, and of your sausage ball affliction!
just remember...15 sausage balls is too many!!! (altho i am sure jamie's mom appriciated the fact that every time she looked up her sausage ball platter was empty)

Wait, wasn't this thing supposed to be about jamie?????
:) miss ya dog!

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My statement regarding Justin's jackassness is becoming ever clearer.
As we can see :)

I hope you are doing well in Peruvia and taking it all in. Good Luck man,

Trace

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo. . . two people came to 5th quarter tonight =(
Apparently they don't think I am as cool as you. Or maybe it was because the game started late and it rained all day. . .
Just wanted to let you know u are missed!

-Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home