Friday, September 15, 2006

Traveling in Lima

So while the last few days have been more of the same, understanding some people and not being able to say much in return, I thought that I would share with you all a little about the transportation system here...using those words very loosely. There are six main ways of getting around here, so I'll try to keep it brief, but still give you a good idea of what its like.

First of all there is of course walking. This is not reccomended if at all possible. Coming from the pedestrian friendly town of Chapel Hill where those traveling on foot can do no wrong, that is not the case here. It didn't take me long to find that out either. You know those nice little pedestrian signs we have in the states with the woman and her child calmly walking across the street? Well, they have those here too...but they are running. I have a picture that I will try to post at a later date when I figure out how.

Next in line is the bus. Now there is no bus schedule, and all of the bus lines are owned by individuals, so they run when they want to. I haven't had a problem with this yet, but I don't see how it can be avoided. The bus is probably the safest way to travel here, and I'll explain why. Its slow, and its big. If you were to hit something in a bus (which I have experienced) you would be going at a slow enough speed that it wouldnt matter, and it would probably be a taxi which is a lot smaller. Buses are often times crowded, but then again in a city with 9 million people, you would expect that.

Then we have the Combis. They are basically like a van that they cram as many people into as possible. They all have written on the side of them where they are headed, and then someone hanging out the window yelling at people where they are going...I think. They speak so fast, that I have yet to catch one word that they say. They are all competing against one another, so at a bus stop, they are all looking at you and waving at you to come get on, whether you are going there or not. Being somewhat tall for the average person here, I always try to get a seat because standing up is extremely difficult, plus you can't see where you need to get off.

Then there is the taxi. Not very many people here own cars, but thats ok because most of them drive taxis. There are two types of these. The regular kind, and the collectivo. The collectivo is another fun way to get around. These cars, all of which are compact cars, collect at certain areas and go to a specific location. They dont leave until they are full. Its basically like splitting a taxi with 3 other strangrs. But they are extremely small and intimate. One night my shoulder was used as a pillow by an intoxicated indivitual. Felt like the P2P all over again! Then the "normal" kind. They don't have meters, so you negociate the price before getting in so you need to know about how much it should cost to get you where you are going. This is the most expensive way of travel, in that it costs you about 4 dollars American for about a 20-30 minute trip.

Finally we have the mototaxis. They are used to get around on the smaller side roads. Its basically just a motor bike with a little cabin built on the back for people to sit in. Probably no better than walking, but a little faster. The problem here is that I don't think that the drivers know that they aren't in a car because they are driving in traffic like they are!

Then there is just driving in general, which I am glad we are not supposed to do! The lanes on the roads are more like suggestions, this is where you could drive if you wanted to. I've seen them go 5 wide in 3 lanes more than once. Stoplights and stop signs are again, more like suggestions. Its basically like one big game of chicken, who is going to yield first. Its much like the Jerry Sienfeld skit about taxi drivers in New York, but on a whole different level. Surely they know what they are doing. I mean they are driving quite recklessly, on bald tires. They have a license. I think all it takes to drive here is the ability to use the horn. I think I have used the horn on my car like 3 times. Here if you only use it 3 times a trip you are doing something wrong.

I hope you have a better idea about what its like to travel here. I know that everytime I leave the house I am in for an adventure! And driving is something that I will defenitly leave up to the "professionals."

6 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie-
It's so cool learning about a different culture. School and youth are going great. We all miss you but know that for the weeks you've been in Peru, that life is beginning to feel more like home.
You aren't missing a whole lot with Carolina this season just so you know! (GO HEELS!) Talk to ya later! :-)

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Libby Hunter said...

thats ok, it costs us 5 american dollars just to get in the cab, and thats if there are only two of us : ) and i laughed out loud about the p2p. gotta love it. miss you bub

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie! Sounds crazy down there! I think you'd better steer clear of walking! Let us know how the food is down there! We love you!
Love,
Amanda

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie...actually you describing the traveling situation down there is somewhat how I feel traveling here in NC. I don't think I've driven a day where there is no traffic. I guess I'm just used to my small town Hoosier life.
Anyway...it's good to hear that everything is going well for you. I'm beginning to adjust to life in the south. Dave will be here in a week.

Take care...I'm praying for ya!

Diana :)

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Kori said...

Good luck on the trying to get a seat... when one opens up, it usually gets offered to me;)

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH how I miss the South American mass transit systems. I got all teary eyed just thinking about collectivo rides and ridding the Micro busses. It was truly glorious.

It is interesting how the busses are independently run by different companies or people, who seem to choose their own "general" schedule. I think it was a bit more organized in Chile though because they did have a handy numbering system and general routes they would run. However, the guys yelling at you, trying to convince you to get on their Micro going the opposite way you want to go does get a bit old, lol.

I always love the "cultural" experineces ridding the Micro's (which is exactly what they are small/tiny buses slammed full of people). The best story I have was when I was getting on one of these delightful buses and the driver was visibly distraught because I was a gringo with Student I.D., which entitled me to ride for a discount, so as I walked toward the back of the bus the pleasant conductor gunned it sending me flying toward the back of the bus. Luckly for me these busses ar far to short for me to stand upright inside of, so my head slammed into the broken light fixture which saved me from an impeding tumble. It also served for formidable comic relief for everyone on the bus, but once they all stopped laughing they did ask if I was in due order.

After I regained my composure a young chica, who attended my univeristy, told me to sit by her and ensured that I was alright. If I had been able to speak in enlglish I would have been quite charming after such a humiliating event, because that is a classic in. But, as it was I was stuck speaking in Spanish, and at that time all I cold talk about was the weather, which does not win you cool points. Hmm I am kinda depressed now, so I shall go. Enjoy yourself buddy

later

 

Post a Comment

<< Home