Sunday, September 03, 2006

Home, Sweet Home

I now write you from the country of Peru, my home for the next year. It has been a wonderful, scary, awesome 5 days since we got here, and each day it becomes a little more like home, and a little less like a far off land. I live in Carabyllo, a pueblo joven on the outskirts of Lima, about an hours ride from downtown...when there is no traffic. We all thought that when we arrived at the airport on Monday night that we would all be wisked off to a hotel of some sort of house where we would all be staying together for the 2 week orientation process. We were wrong. My new family was waiting at the airport, and we were all taken to spend the night away from the friends that had become our support group, with people who didn´t speak English. (In case you didn't know...I´m a little lacking in the Spanish department!) But my family is great, and we were able to communicate enough with each other to understand. I live with Eduardo and his wife Flor, who is 2 months pregnant! I'm glad that I will be able to be a part of this year in their life and them in mine.

Each day I understand a little more Spanish, but I am still struggling with the speaking part. While it is great to spend the days with the other YAVs and the nights with my family, it is kind of hard to switch from Spanish to English at the drop of a hat. It is very interesting living where I am. On the way to the office in the mornings it takes about an hour, but on the way home at night it takes almost 2. This is also is a very intricate process usually involving a taxi and at least 2 different buses, all packed to the brim with people. Luckily, Eduardo works in the office and I just follow him. After next week, I will be beginning my jobs, and will have to travel by myself to and from them. Today was actually my first bus ride alone. All the YAVs met at Ruth and Hunter´s house and then we went out in Miraflores, one of the nicer, more touristy parts of town. Eduardo put me on the bus, gave me a note of where I was going, and told the money collector where I was getting off. I felt like a 5 year old on the first day of school...only 5 year olds can talk! But I got here with no problem and am spending the night so I wouldn´t have to take a bus back at 11pm. I must admit it will be nice being able to take a shower with hot water in the morning and not having the dogs barking outside and the roosters crowing, although I have almost gotten used to all that.

As I learn the language and get to know more about my surroundings and how to get around, it is really starting to become more like home, and less like a dream. Today was the best sign yet. As we were on the bus from the fruit market this morning, all 3 of us and 60 lbs of fruit, there on the seat beside me was a teenage boy. He seemed like your average Peruvian young man. But on his head was...are you ready for this...a UNC hat. Yes, UNC has even made its mark in Peru! So as I continue to adjust to the cold showers and the long bus rides that seem to never end, it was nice to see a familiar sign from home, even if I couldn´t talk to him and ask him about it...and even if they did lose to Rutgers today. Hasta pronto!

8 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Heels! :) Hey, I still want your address for over there! I'm glad you are getting adjusted...I can't imagine being summerged in another language and culture! Take care! -ALison

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Libby Hunter said...

YEA HEELS! (lets not talk about yesterday...) I'm glad you're doing well, we have been checking your blog every day in Belfast hoping to hear some word from you guys! Sounds like its been a crazy week. An email is on its way across this crazy ocean....

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Hmmmm... some advice! #1) after you blog, go back and respond to the fun comments on your last blog so we can feel some sense of dialouge! get in the conversations and break bad on all of us! (esp. trace)
#2) the UNC hat was an OMEN!!! you gotta learn to read the signs better. It also shows that UNC will go to any lengths to bring people in who are NOT from NC..u know, being an NC state (not NCSU but the state of NC) school and all, they really try hard to not let people from NC into the school. (and let's leave my HS GPA outta this!)
#3) I hope your mom doesn't read "that this is starting to become more like home"... are you TRYING to freak her out???
#4)I'm glad things are going well! I've been worried about you all week, but i'm glad to know you are alive, well, and carrying lots of fruit. 60 LBS. is a lot, don't show off just yet...work your way up. maybe you should get a personal puruvian trainer??? i'm just sayin, don't want you to get a hernia:)

dude, i really am glad you're doin ok. i will stop my motherly worrying about you, and tell trace he can come out of the closet...

that he was cowering in out of fear for your safety. Ha, he's gonna beat me up on that one. anyway, you're still in our prayers. we love ya man!
get a picture up here ASAP so we can remember what you look like and see what you see!
take care buddy!

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Jamie,

It is good to hear you are beginning to get adjusted. I always found it funny how quickly things/places became familiar, and how easy it was to feel at home in a new place that seemed so different in the beginning. However, I was always reminded in some way that I was in a different place where I was not quite normal. Typically it came from someone yelling out "hey look at the ogre" in Spanish of course.

I must say I never had to get used to the cold water thing, but in Chile it was a bit colder and I did live in a beach resort town. The thing that I got "used to" but never really cared for was the whole toilet paper thing. I believe that was my worst culture shock.

As for you sighting of an UNC hat in Lima, I must say it is quite disturbing. It appears the virus has spread and the infection will only ensure that more people will be disheartend by losses to Rutgers and William and Mary.

I know it is always interesting to see a little peice of home so far away though. When I was in Vina del Mar I saw some kid with an ECU shirt and almost pushed him down when I hit the dudes shoulder to ask where he got it.

ah enough babling from me, I hope you are doing well and live it up while you are there.

Trace

oh and ask your boss ?tan? ?Donde es su pisco? Necisito un poco golpe despeus mi duche

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to talk to you today! Yeah, Justin, I did catch that "becoming more like home" phrase! Your new family better take good care of you. Phillip e-mailed from Athens asking all about you. Hope you can find an easier way to wash your clothes besides scrubbing them in a bucket of water. So much for enjoying your day off! Love you with all my heart and praying for you daily.
Love, Mama

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to talk to you today! Yeah, Justin, I did catch that "becoming more like home" phrase! Your new family better take good care of you. Phillip e-mailed from Athens asking all about you. Hope you can find an easier way to wash your clothes besides scrubbing them in a bucket of water. So much for enjoying your day off! Love you with all my heart and praying for you daily.
Love, Mama

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie-
I think it's great that the enviroment is becoming more like home and family to you! Don't worry about the spanish, hey you never know! When you get back maybe you and I can do some spanish 1 o 1! Yeah, I'm taking spanish 2nd semester at school. What fun! Miss ya! GO HEELS!
:-)

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie!I'm really liking this blogging thing... it's good to hear from you.:-)
Um...I agree with Trace...the UNC virus has spread. There's no hope now... (GO WOLFPACK!!)
And, I am glad you're adjusting well. You've got an action-packed year coming at ya fast. Gosh I'm excited for you!! You know me...I wish I was there with you in the thick of it!! (although that Spanich thing might be a minor problem!) :-)
Keep us updated!! We all miss you!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home