Monday, September 18, 2006

24...Peru edition

Well, I made it. I survived the weekend and am here to tell about it. It was a lot more than I had expected, but it was really great. The 9 churched here that I am working with had a collective youth retreat for the weekend. We went to the "country" which was basically just a little less city. There were still dogs to lull me to sleep (if I had been able to, but I'll get to that later) and the distant sound of traffic.

I got there a little earlier than a lot of the youth, so I helped set up the tents and whatever else needed doing. I was told there would be about 50 people or so. By the time everyone got there, there was 91 people! Probably 80% under the age of 18. Three of the churches that I am working with have Compassion programs, so their youth groups are rather large. I knew a lot of these kids because 3 days a week I work with those programs. And by know, I mean I had seen them before but familiar faces are nice, especially since that means I had already done something stupid around them so it was a little easier.

At about 7 or so we finally got things started with worship. I really love the music they play here. Some of it is familiar, but most of it is new, and I don't understand any of it. Its a little tough for me because I am a person who loves singing and that is a big part of worship for me, but that will come. After singing a lot, the pastor for the weekend started talking. Pastors here talk for a long time and in case you didn't know...I don't speak that much spanish. Have I mentioned that before? Well about 9:30, we got to eat dinner. We were paired up with the instructions to get to know the other person. And apparently somewhere in the instuctions included "well enough to present your partner." Now, I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for dinner the night before in English, so imagine me trying to remember all these facts about a person in a different language. I didn't only have to remember them, I had to remember how to say them! Needless to say, when I had to get up in front of everyone the next morning, I didn't do a very good job, but at least everyone got a good laugh! I am good for something.

We had a campfire after dinner and there was more singing. Then comes the sleepign arrangements. The girls were staying inside in a dormatory type setting. The guys were sleeping outside in army type 10 person tents. There were 3 tents. There were 45 guys. Now I wasn't a math major, and I did go to UNC, but I dont think those numbers add up. Anyway, there were 15 people in my tent. There was no room to roll over, or even pretend to sleep. So laying in the same position with a lumpy backpack as a pillow, I attempted to go to sleep at about 1, not knowing that the wake up call was coming at 6. Needless to say, I am in serious need of a massuse if you know of one in Peru...or anywhere in South America for that matter!

Despite the lack of sleep Sunday was good. There was more worship and bible study. During the morning service, I got a little down, just thinking about a lot of different things. I think beging tired I let my gaurd down a little. But those feelings passed after some intense prayer, since I wasn't understanding the pastor. After the worship service came the games. They were pretty fun games and of course, I had to be involved. I don't know if you've ever been in a place where almost everyone there is watching your every move, but that would be what it felt like. But it was a lot of fun, and playing games definetly transends language barriers...except the instructions part.

I got a little bit of sunburn which doesn't bother me because I hadn't seen the sun that much since I left the USA. But we packed up after a few rounds of volleyball and headed home bout 5. That was probably the longest 24 hours of my life.

It was really different for me to be on a spiritual retreat like that and really have nothing to offer. I did read a verse here and there in our small group Bible study, but I wasn't able to give any insight or help answer any questions. But I am getting more used to just being and not doing. While I am involved in lots of things, I am more just there soaking it all up, just waiting for the time when I have more to offer.

On a differnet note...it is probably a good thing that I am not in the States right now. After seeing the results of UNC's first 3 games and the Panther's first 2, I am pretty sure that at least one TV somewhere would be broken and Adam probably wouldn't let me back in his house.

7 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Well mr jamie "jack bauer" milton,
glad to see you survived your 24 hour mission. Next season the threat will be Rouge Llamas that want to eat your food!

glad to hear you're still doing well. I know i've never done what you're doing, but i know what it feels like to be on a mission trip and get really tired. I remember that's when you really start to think and long to be somewhere more familiar.

But you made it, once again showing your uncanny ability to adapt to this new invironment/schedule.
I don't know how it seems from your end, but looking back over your blogs, i see imporvemements in your attitude, approach, and outlook on situations. I know that it's still tough, but i think (and this is just the humble opinion of a someone who means nothing to you) but i think you are adjusting well, i think better than i would be in your situation.

Don't worry, that "new guy" feeling will go away in 6 months, and most of them will probably stop staring at you in amazement, but in the meantime, while they are staring at the light skinned americano, make sure that you communicate with your body language even if you can't communicate with words. Smile at them, laugh with them, and let them see how happy you are to be a part of their lives at that time! You have had the PRIVILAGE of being a part of their lives for one year, and that is something to be thankful for!

we miss ya bud, take care of yourself, and don't burn yourself out if you can help it! just think, one day (a year from now) you will feel just as out of place when you come back to the U.S.!

peace!
justin

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But let everyone who trusts you be happy, let them sing glad songs forever. Protect those who love you and who are happy because of you." -Psalm 5:11

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're so lonely...:-( I wish that all us youth could give you a big ol' hug about now... but for now, just the thought will have to suffice.
"No test or temptation that comes you way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; He'll never let you be pushed past your limit; He'll always be there to help you come through it."(1 Corinthians 10:13) I really like that one...it always seems to apply...
We do really miss you and pray for you all of the time.

lotsa love, erin

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Kori said...

Haha.. I know you rolled over and spooned in your tent!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Ok. Remember this because it is important. Mario in Mar del Plata, Argentina. Amazing masseuse. $25 Argentine pesos = $8 USD! Totally worth the plane ride ;) I'm praying for you!

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie, I do not know this Mario fella or Ashley, but I can attest that Mar del Plata, Argentina is totally worth it. If not for the massuese, then for historical importance. It was the end of the road for the "silver train" during the first era's of European/Spanish oppression. ahhh the good ol days.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Justin said...

It's times like these that we actually remember why trace is useful to us, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home