Thursday, September 07, 2006

And then there was one...

Tomorrow marks the end of our orientation period here in Lima. Early Saturday morning, the other volunteers will be leaving the city and going on long bus rides to their new homes for the year. While I have already been living with my family, this is still a big day for me too. It marks the end of my english speaking days. After tomorrow, I will be completely emersed in Spanish. Not just at night, or in the mornings, but all day long. I am still trying to get my head around that. Its not an easy thing, but it is going to be good for me. The sooner I learn, the better experience I am going to have here, being able to interact with those around me, and those that I am here to serve and learn from. And that is why I am here.

Yesterday was by far one of the best days that I have had here, not that any have been bad. There is a program here that organizes groups of Peruvians together who handmake crafts to sell in various stores here and also through partnerships in the US. We got a chance to go and visit these artisans. We went to 5 different workshops where they were making pillows, placemats, pottery, nativity sets, blankets and much more. It was awesome to see where these things were made and the people working so hard. (You can get information about the products at http://www.fairtradeperu.com) After we visited the first place, we went walking through the pueblo joven that the ladies lived in. We walked up this big mountain, lined with ¨houses¨and at the top, was the most beautiful view I have ever seen. The top of the hill overlooks miles of beaches and sand dunes. There wasn´t a person in sight. There was no real way to get down to the water from where we were because we were so high and the drop off had become the trash pile, but it was a breaktaking view. Then to turn around and see what the people who had this wonderful view lived in was heartbreaking. Houses constructed of whatever they could find and built on the side of a mountain. To see the beauty of God´s creation on one side, and to turn around and see how God´s beautiful creation of humanity is forced to live on the other side was a powerful experience and one that I will never forget.

As I try to come to grips with what is about to happen, and the many things that I have experienced over the last 2 weeks, I now have a new member to my family to help me to deal with things. Today, I bought a guitar. I now have an escape. When it seems like I can´t take anymore, I will at least have my music.

Thanks for all the comments, and even if I am not responding (so far my interent time has been pretty limited...I´m not as lucky as some people living in say...Northern Ireland) I am reading them when I can and they are helping me to cope with not being there. I´ll write again soon! I start my job on Monday!

(Oh yeah...everything on this computer is in Spanish...so I cant find the spell check! Please excuse my mistakes =) )

8 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola! Como estas? Donde esta el bano? Just thought I'd try to get you more used to Spanish! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!! Glad to hear things are going well. I'm sure it is beautiful. We figured out that "The Emperor's New Groove" was based from Peru! Thanks for keeping in touch. You're always in our thoughts and prayers. Dave says hey and your "room" at Adam's looks good! Talk to you soon!!!!!

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie!
We finally found your blog - you know the Livers family can be a little disorganized at times! We are thinking of you and praying for you. It sounds like everything is going well. Good luck with the Spanish - it will become second nature in no time.
We went to the football game on Saturday. Don't worry - you aren't missing out on football this year. Jeff screamed and screamed, but could not pull the Heels through. I reminded him that Midnight Madness will be here in 2 months, 4 days. Take care and hope we hear from you sometime soon!

Jeff & Jennifer

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Justin said...

hey,
glad you're doing ok... alls i gots to say is: YAY GUITAR!!!!
good choice on purchases. I would have done the same thing. hope you remember some songs. i hope you find someone to teach you some songs. i'm sure there's an old guy around that plays guitar and can teach you some traditional puruvian folk songs!
OOoo OOoo, here's an idea... write a song in espanol! that would be a good way to communicate. nothing fancy just one or two simple songs. or you could try to translate a song you've writen.
just some ideas! (i'm sure you're way ahead of me on this)

I meet the new youth group tomorrow (sept 8)and they vote on me on sunday. i think i'm feeling a little of what you're feeling, although probably in a lot less of a magnitude.

don't worry, your training will serve you well my young padawan! Use the force and all will be well!
It's funny, cuz i know we didn't talk as much as we should (or as much as say..u and trace) when you are here, but i'm really missin you right now man! i can't wait till u come home and i get to hear some cool stories, and maybe i will have some stories to tell you by then... if not i will make something up so you will at least THINK that my life is as exciting as yours:)

be safe, take care, cuz my mom wouldn't want anything to happen to her adopted son, and your mom wouldn't want anything to happen to her favorite son:)j/k brenda i know you love all of your sons equally!

hasta somethingo

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie, I found your blog and have enjoyed your comments. We miss you a lot and pray for you daily. I'm glad you have a guitar to ease your transition. Good luck with the Spanish.
Love,
Dad

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Libby Hunter said...

Hey dont knock the belfast girls! We have our own struggles! The neighborhood kids only words to us have been that we smell like shit. awesome! miss you bub

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie-
It's so cool you found another guitar to comfort loosing your baby electric :-). I finish Driver's ed on Monday! Hope you are having fun! Love ya!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Justin said...

In the news...
I talked to Erin edwards today (friday, sept. 8) and she told me that Amy edwards is getting married tomorrow!!! wow! see how out of it i am!

later bro!

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheque de encanto = Spell Check but I am pretty sure that word means a witches spell hmmmm. perhaps you could look for cheque de palabras, or if it is Word you could merely look for the blue checkmark. Of course all that is based upon the fact you can right click on the word page and change the language setting to english, which is possible occasionally. Otherwise you have to see just how bad your spelling has become with the aid of spell check.

It is good to hear you have you a little guitar, now you can learn some peruvian flok songs as Justin said (first good idea he has had in a while I might add). I am afriad I do not know any Peruvian Folk singers but you could try and find some songs from Victor Jara. He is a South American folk singer who sings a great deal regarding the plight of the people. His music is amazingly moving even when you do not understand the words in totality.

Okay dude, I will stop talking now, and no worries the Spanish will come ever quicker, and soon you will know far more Spanish than I do, which will force me to find some other way to enforce my aire of superiority.

later buddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home