Thursday, November 16, 2006

UNC basketball 0 - Venezuelan baseball 1

So I don't have a lot of time today, so I thought I would share a little bit about my frustrations from yesterday and another link to some pictures.

Yesterday was a great day for me. In my work at the Compassion project at Collique I helped bake some cookies, chatted with some of the kids and taught some English to the kids. All in all a very eventful day for me. But all day long, in the back of my head was...UNC basketball. Our season started on Tuesday and I knew that we had a game on Wednesday night as well. In fact, I had checked the local ESPN listings here and saw that our game would be televised here. Imagine my excitement! I had made plans to go to my host grandparents house to watch the game. After work, I swung by my humble abode to put on my UNC gear, and headed over to their house. I even had a conversation with a neighbor about what I was doing, and where I was going. She was selling hamburgers at the bus stop, but there was no time for that!

On the bus ride, I just had this feeling of excitement. The kind I usually get about this time of year in anticipation of going to a game at the Dean Dome. I arrive at their house and catch the last bit of a talk show from Spain with Eduardo's mom, and then start flipping channels impatiently waiting for 7pm. As I flipped to the channel, I got a bad feeling. There was a baseball game on...and it was only the second inning! I flipped to the TV guide channel (yeah, they have that here!) and saw that there was no basketball game. I checked the printed listings again to make sure I had the right time, and there it was, University basketball. Apparently, in Peru, a Venezuelan baseball tournament is more important than UNC basketball...who would have thought it! Maybe I'll have better luck next time! It was probably a good thing too, because from what I read, it was much closer than it should have been...I might have lost a place to live!

And here are some pictures going all the way back to my first few days here. Enjoy!
http://unc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2078346&l=83947&id=2717014

8 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was able to record the game for you and will forward soon, also will send copy of Youth Sunday and Kellys birthday party. UNC plays Gonzaga next week. Dad

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...poor Jamie! No basketball yet! I hope you survive! You could be doing so many more productive things than watching UNC!!! The pictures were great. Lots of happy looking people! Every time Kelly saw you, he said "Ta-da! Ja-ja!". I want to see some pictures of your house! Mama told me about the cockroach! We love you!!!!!
Amanda

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missed you Sunday. The youth did a great job! Now you know how I feel trying to get an Illinois game in North Carolina :-).

Doug

 
At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool pictures Jamie!! It looks like you're making a bunch of friends!! :-)Talk to you later, Erin
PS- THE WOLFPACK BBALL WON TONIGHT!!63-43!!! We went to the game! :-)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

So when people ask me how the food is or how I like it here, I used to say, "Its not bad" But now I have a new phrase to use, "Its better than Venezuelan baseball!"

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh by the way Jamie-
Carolina did beat State on Saturday in football! Go Heels!

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rub it in... :-P

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the unc-gonzaga game was AWESOME!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home