Tuesday, November 21, 2006

3 months

Yesterday marked 3 months since I got on a plane in Raleigh, NC headed for orientation. I haven't seen a person that I've know for longer than a few months since then, and am now living in a country where I can "get by" with the language. But, it is all a part of my life now, something I accept anew everyday and am making the most of this wonderful opportunity that God has given me.

It has been tough to not see my family that I am so close with, but I am forming new friendships that will last for the rest of my life, and being embraced by a family that treats me like one of their own. Sunday was election day here, and since it is obligatory, everything is closed...even most churches. I went with Eduardo and Flor to their voting site and them we went to one of his aunt's houses for lunch. It was another aunt's birthday so over the course of the afternoon, his entire family ended up coming over for a party that night. At first I was a little intimidated by all that was going on around me, but after a while, I didn't seem to stick out that badly. His family would come and talk to me. There was even a couple of rousing games of Jenga which had everyone on the edge of their seats. They even included my in the family photo that they took before everyone left.

As Thanksgiving approaches in 2 short days, I am wondering what it will be like to not be with my family for the first time during the holidays. I am thankful that the YAVs have a retreat and we will at least be able to spend it together since no one here knows what Thanksgiving is. I'll get back to you all sometime next week with details of our time together and lots and lots of pictures! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

7 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three months down and 7 to go! At least we're counting down in North Carolina. It will not be the same on Thanksgiving without you, but you will have friends! Be thankful for this wonderful journey you are on! We love you! Happy Thanksgiving!
Love, Dave, Amanda and kids

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been cool reading about your experiences. Pastor Jeff mentions you in some part of the service every Sunday, and once a month, one of the youth group members/ leaders goes up and fills people in on what you have been writing about here. The whole church misses you.
Sorry that you missed the UNC game. Have you managed to see any others? Keep writing! I enjoy hereing from you.

Sylvia

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie-
Just wanted to wish you a happy Thanksgiving! Tell your family I said hi! We all miss you! Love ya :-P

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J-mo,

Just read your blogspot for the first time in a month or so. Good to see your surviving there. About to sit down to Thanksgiving dinner with my mom and grandmother, Owen and Erin. So, Happy Thanksgiving to you. Take...luck (if you have any, take it with you, any luck that you may have).

Later,

INH

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I know it was hard being away from your family (for you and for them)...but you know, I think sometimes we can get caught up in all of the family traditions and forget what thanksgiving is really all about...GIVING THANKS!!! So, as long as you give God glory and praise for what He's doing in your life, you'll have a wonderful thanksgiving, no matter where you are. :-)
We miss miss and are praying for you!

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! It's hard to believe you've been gone 3 months. The rest of the time will fly by. Nothing new to report here...same ole, same ole. Happy Thanksgiving!! It's so cool to read all your stories...I do miss you!! I can't imagine doing what you're doing, but you're so awesome at it. Keep up the good work and I'll continue to pray for you. Can't wait to see more pics and hear more stories. See ya!
Christy

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,
MaryBeth asked about you today and I realized I hadn't read your blogs in a while! Glad things are going well for you. It seems you are getting better at Spanish and finally starting to feel comfortable with your new "family". Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving. We're thinking about you here at CAS!
Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home