Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Navidad in Peru

Yeah, I know. What an original title. But thats all I got. This entry is going to attempt to fill you all in on what it was like to be me, over the Christmas holiday here in Peru.

As you all know by now, I work with several churches here in Peru. Three of which I visit every week, and the others on a rotational basis. My Christmas celebration starts on Tuesday the 19th. Tuesday is normally my day off, but one of the churches with a Compassion site that I work with invited me to attend their Christmas party for the kids. They had hired a group who had music, games and prizes for the kids. The festivities were held on a soccer field near the church and all the kids in the neighborhood were invited. I'm bad at estimating, but I would say close to 200 kids. After all the games and music, they had hot chocolate and paneton, a bread like cake with raisins and those little pieces of candied fruit like in fruit cake. I blame Americans for the tradition of hot chocolate, because here, it is way too hot for consuming a hot beverage! Then all the kids in Compassion, went back to the church to await their lunches. I was excited because we were having Pollo a la Brasa, which is kind of like a rotisserie style chicken. But having to feed 150 kids with the food from one restaurant was a bit more difficult than anyone had expected. It ended up taking all afternoon to get everyone their food and I had my delicious lunch at 5 pm.

From there it was off to my second engagement for the evening...a dancing lesson at Primavera. This is the church that my host family attends. Flor, my host mom, teaches Sunday School and her class was involved in the Christmas service in a number of ways, two of which included me. They sang the Spanish version of All in All with my accompaniment, and they danced the Electric Slide, to another "country type" praise song. Tuesday night I met with the kids and Flor to practice the song and teach them the dance steps.

Wednesday was my normal work day at Collique, the same church I went to on Tuesday for their Christmas party and "lunch." There I participated in a gift exchange with the afternoon class. I drew the name of one of the girls and bought her a necklace, some earrings and two bracelets, all for 5 soles...about $1.80. One of the teachers drew my name and had a huge box for me. As I opened it all the girls laughed and smiled as I found another box. Opening it, yet another, and again, yet another. After the final box, I found a nice T-shirt. Of course it was too small, so we went to exchange it. That night was a very special night in the lives of the kids in nivel tres of this project. They were all to receive Bibles. This happens once every 5 years. They invited my up front to assist in handing out the Bibles. I felt very privileged to be a part of such a ceremony.

Thursday after my normal afternoon of guitar lessons, I was off to another Compassion project to participate in their Christmas service. Kori, another YAV, is in my guitar class, and was able to go with me to the service. Earlier in the week, I had taught the words of Away in a Manger to some of the kids I work with. After seeing some of the other kids perform songs and dances, it was time for our little trio to perform. It was actually pretty good. The girls had written out the English the way that they thought they were pronounced and it ended up being great! Too bad the room full of about 150 kids weren't really listening. They were there for one thing, the chocolate and paneton...so two things. We weren't able to stay for the whole thing, but I enjoyed the parts we saw, which was mainly the kids I work with, so the important ones anyway!

Friday was actually a pretty normal day, being my last day of "work" until January 10th.

Then comes Saturday. Most of the churches here had their Christmas services on the 23rd. In fact, I was invited to 4 services that night. But, by default, I am partial to Primavera, so thats where I went. The day started at about 5 when we arrived at the church. There were lots of last minute things to be done. A local organization had donated 100 gifts to be distributed to the kids of the neighborhood, along with enough chocolate and paneton to feed a small army...or 100 kids! We put up a note on the door of the church saying that the kids could come by at 6 to get a ticket for a gift, which were to be handed out at the end of the service. Now, I have described the Peruvian sense of time before, but apparently when you mention "regalos" (gifts) everyone is on time. We had 100 kids in the church by 6:30. The service was supposed to start at 7. And again, the rest of the church is on Peruvian time, so most of the kids and teachers who were supposed to perform the skits and songs were not there. So what did we do? Make the gringo sing! I was prepared to sing Away in a Manger, and ended up adding in the old faithful Open the Eyes for a time filler. My dancing squad was all there, so we also did our little dance, and sang our song. For the first half hour, I felt like I was in a gringo variety hour...coming to a channel near you! The other teachers and kids finally arrived and were able to do the cutest little skits and songs. We even had to cut out some of the adults because the 100+ kids were getting restless after 2 hours of sitting. We then distributed the chocolate, paneton and of course the gifts...all in an orderly fashion of course! It was quite a crazy night, but seeing the joy on the faces of the kids performing and the look in the eyes of the kids as they opened their gifts was worth it all.

Christmas Eve was quite an eventful day as well. It started out with an hour bus ride into Lima to spend some time with the other YAVs and out site coordinators. It was good to see them all and be able to hang out with some familiar friends (and a phone call from mom too!). We even were able to go to a good old Christmas Eve candle lighting service, in English! After the service I had my first of two dinners for the evening. We had turkey and stuffing with all that YAVs at Ruth and Hunter's house. Then after a short rest it was off to my second party of the night. I met up with Eduardo and we went to his aunts house for the traditional meal of turkey at midnight. As the clock struck twelve, we had a toast and all embraced and wished everyone a Feliz Navidad and sat down to our meals. After dinner the elders in the family exchanged words of wisdom, encouragement and tidings of joy, as the rest of us listened intently...or tried to anyway. Then we headed home at the early hour of 3am.

Christmas day was spent with the family of my host mom. We went to her families house for lunch and then participated in a gift exchange. I received another T-shirt...apparently, everyone here is tired of the 5 shirts that I have! After a movie, we came back to Eduardo's parents house, and to my surprise, his brother was watching LOTR: The Two Towers, in English on TV. I gladly joined and napped through most of it. After receiving another call from my mom, and a call from my brother, I was ready to head home and go to bed.

While I didn't have a whole lot of time to miss my family, or to think about what I was missing at home, those feelings did come up as expected. This was my first Christmas away from my family and it really doesn't seem like Christmas without all our traditions. But living in a culture different from my own, and living with people who aren't poor, but not as fortunate as I am, I was able to rediscover what Christmas was about. Not only about the birth of Jesus, but also about bringing family together. Why were Joseph and Mary so far from home for the birth of their son? Because Joseph had to return to the land of his ancestors for a census. He had to go back "where he came from." The families that I was blessed to be a part of this year weren't big on gifts, and no one cared. It was more about having your family, the people that you love, there with you to celebrate. And they all welcomed me in as one of their own.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

13 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Enjoy your time off! Hope to talk to you soon! We love you!
Amanda

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie -- just a brief note to tell you that the Gabel gang is thinking about you and keeping you in our prayers. Keep up the great work you're doing. Tim, Lisa, Colby, and Kelsey.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie-
I hope you had a merry Christmas and a happy new year! I hope you enjoy your time off just to relax and enjoy life. Tell Jim and Jane hey! Miss ya! love ya!

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie, Yes we continue to miss you immensely. But I'm so glad your holidays were filled to the brim with friends and your extended family. I'm thankful how God is taking such good care of you through others. This will be a Christmas to remember for sure. You'll miss it next year. I know it's going to be hard for you to leave your new family. Try to get plenty of sleep before Flor's baby comes! May God continue to bless you in 2007. He's blessed us with you - Love, Mama

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a Merry Christmas, and I'm sure that with Jim and Jane there, New Year's was a blast!!! Enjoy their company, and pretend that we're all there with them...('cause they took the spirit of the youth group with them just for you!!! Well, actually, for us almost as much as for you :-) We miss you so much!! And you're almost halfway!!
Happy 2007!!!
Love, Erin

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie! Jim and Jane showed us some of the pictures from Peru today! Your beard in AWESOMENESSNESS! No! Wait! It's AWESOMENESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESS. The by the way, that is 7 "ness'". It sounded like you had a cool Christmas. Diagal Bagel left for Californina last week. Now we are missing both you and Sarah!

I don't think I told you about Sylvia's pet caterpillar. He was a cute little fuzzy, black one which we called Harry until "he" hatched from "his" cacoon afew days ago. We then found out that SHE was a beutiful Giant Leopard Moth! It was really sad though because she hatched at a time when it was too cold. We couldn't release her because she would have frozen to death. She went crazy trying to escape and then all her energy seemed to seep away. It was heartbreaking to see her on Friday when we released her. She could barely grip the stick we used to get her out of her cage. She wasn't there when we came back after school so we can only hope that she somehow found a male Leopard Moth.

The weather is really scary here! Some of our daffodils started blooming! I know, crazy right?! It's in the middel of January!
llamasongsinger a.k.a Megan

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so. I had heard these rumors that you had a beard. And then I saw the pictures and the first thing I thought was, "shut up. Jamie has a beard," which was closely followed by, "I wonder if it's gray, too." It just goes to show that, when all other jokes fade away, the gray hair jokes have staying power. And I do expect an answer, sir (unless the subject is bruising your feelings, in which case you don't have to answer and I owe you a fruitcake or something in reconciliation).

It seems like God brought you to some amazing people. And they all seem to really love you. Duh, who doesn't? So merry belated Christmas and happy belated New Year. And, while I'm at it, happy birthday, too.

Peace out. julie.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Meg beat me here :( .
Anyway...
I know that you are probably tired of hearing this, but you are totally working that beard! Jim said that you all had a blast during New Years. He said that the Peruvians were really tiny compared to him and that there was a woman there who gave him the nickname KingKong. lol
Do you know what your box gift story reminded me of? Megan gave Daigle a bag of bagles in a box in a box in a box as a goodbye gag gift.
We miss both you and Daigle. She is having fun from the sounds of her blogs. Keep her in your prayers.
Talk to you later.

Sylvia

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie-
Got some really neat peaks from Lima from Jim and Jane. You look so funny with a beard! Allison says it's no excuse not to shave even if you don't have hot water!

We've been waiting for an update and more pics! Love ya... miss ya!

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie, I have read you notes and I am very fascinated about it. As you said, the real meaning of Christmas (navidad) is to be in family and celebrating that Jesus the Savior has born. And more amazing that you chose to have your Christmas in Peru, what wonderful country and their people, very simple but very warm, Congratulations! now you have such experience for share and hoping that others can imitate you.
Marry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Maria

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't miss next time to be on December 31 night waiting for the new year in Copacabana beach, Rio de Janeiro, is also a wonderful experience.
Maria

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead, as the aspect scouted, car classifier not ran the organizers in features. This data is accumulated for advance playfields rather, and the wages independently are english to reduce without help. Specialty auto sales georgia: richard lloyd racing, working them small in the teams championship. Auto body certifications, this braille is dissatisfied as distribution'. Findings are defined for placing the racing of variety negotiation, early intermediate or central soul, which turns the economic years, while the large facilities are on a gas income, el paso police cars. In the sabotage home, the pyramid was drilled. Yorkthe maserati racing is enacted on a settings term operated by maserati in 1981, the biturbo.
http:/rtyjmisvenhjk.com

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous male bondage stories said...

I know youre just data hounds. We didnt even have to take him to thehospital.
women and bestiality stories
sexy blow job stories
adult bi sex stories
bdsm branding stories
young old sex stories
I know youre just data hounds. We didnt even have to take him to thehospital.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home