Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hitting home

Hello long lost friends! Yes I am still alive here in Peru. Sorry for the LONG lag in updates! But I appreciate your faithfulness in checking in and hoping for some news from Peru.

Things are going great here, and its hard for me to believe that my time here is only 3 months from being up. It is even harder to imagine that a year ago this weekend, I was just finding out that I would be coming to Peru. While there is much to tell, I am going to focus this blog on something that has really opened my eyes here in Peru.

Way back in December, I wrote a blog about a trip I took that included a one night stay in La Oroya. I had the opportunity to go back there a few weeks ago. A youth group from Allen Park, Michigan came down during Holy Week and the week following to get to know some of the people here in Peru, participate in some worship services, and most importantly, get the word out about the condition of La Oroya.

La Oroya is ranked one of the top ten most contaminated cities in the world, and the most polluted city in the western hemisphere. There is an American company that owns a smelter there that pollutes the environment in unbelievable amounts. About 97 percent of the children there suffer from lead poisioning. Lead poisioning is considered anywhere about a level of 10 units in a person. In the US, kids are treated when they have lead levels of 2 or 3. On average the kids in La Oroya have a level of 38. Its a big problem.

I had read about these problems and heard people talk about what was going on there, but never really thought that much about them. And even after 3 days of working with some of the youth from the area and talking with the mayor, it was still just a story to me. That was until I met Allison. Allison is a 10 year old girl that lives right across the river from the plant. Her brain and body have been seriously affected by the lead in the water and air where they live. I met her on our last day in La Oroya at the community wide awareness rally that was held in the coliseum. At the end of the night, after the songs, dramas and dancing, there was a time where everyone was invited out to dance along while we sang. She was right up front, dancing and singing her heart out. Did she know the words? No, but that didnĀ“t matter. As I took her hands and we danced, the situation in La Oroya became real to me. After the dancing and the music was over, her mother came up to me and told me her story. Her husband has left her with 3 children, 2 of which suffer from severe lead poisoning. I learned later that 7 years ago, she sued the company and is still waiting to go to court. Her mother told me all the mental and physical problems that she has. But then she told me of the great things that her little girl loves to do. She loves to use the computer and things that have buttons. She loves music and dancing. And most importantly, she loves to pray. Her mother told me that whenever she forgets something when they are praying, that Allison will be sure to remind her. She gave me one of her school pictures and we exchanged emails and phone numbers. She told me that I am Alison's new dad and to be sure to pray for her and their family. La Oroya and especially Allison are forever in my prayers and in my heart.

Photos from the trip:

http://unc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2128886&l=c6162&id=2717014
http://unc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2128901&l=cf630&id=2717014
http://unc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2128915&l=2adff&id=2717014

More info about La Oroya:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/april/37.70.html

6 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,your entry touched my heart. I can only imagine all the people you've encountered during your stay and the way each one has touched you and shaped you. And I'm thankful for the way God is using you to touch others. May God continue to bless you and your ministry, making these last 3 months the best of your whole year. Looking forward to a BIG HUG!!
Love, Mama

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Jamie! Hope you and Adam are having a good time. Enjoy the videos! Your story was really touching. It made me feel really bad for what our country is doing to hurt other people. I will pray for those people. We love you and think of you often! Hasta en tres meses!!!!
Love, Amanda

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie-
I got to kind-of hear about Adam's visit to Peru. All he really said was that he enjoyed being down there with you. He sounded like he had tons of fun and enjoyed getting to see his older brother for a little while.

Well, here Mebane, we are finishing up school, planning VBS, making last minute plans for our vacation, earning money for our mission trip, dreaming about upcoming 16th birthdays and anxiously waiting for you to come home! Oh, I can't wait until school is over and done with!

Miss ya, love ya!

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Now I wanna cry. That was really heart touching. I can't wait to see you soon!
School is almost over! And that means SUMMER!
Megan

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

did you know that you come home in roughly 64 days???

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie -- In the first few months after you left us, I (Mary) was real good about checking your blog weekly but around Christmas, life just kind of took of and I'll admit honestly that I fell away from reading. NOT from praying for you and remembering where you are and what you're doing there, just from reading about it! :0) But today, you've been especially on my heart, so I've spent the last hour or so reading back entries and looking at all your wonderful photos! I can see that God is really using you to bless so very many people in the churches in which He has placed you. Your ministry there is far-reaching and has most definitely been blessed! We are SO looking forward to having you back with us, though, and are excited about your return in just a couple of months now! We love you and are praying for a safe return! Much love from the Tyres

 

Post a Comment

<< Home